Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Goals, Tracking, Details.

Progress is a funny thing. Finding balance between reaching a goal and living a whole life can be quite tricky. If you're an A-type like me, you tend toward an "all or nothing" idealism, which can create unhealthy lifestyle choices (not so much physically, but mentally).

On one hand, tracking progress is necessary to reach goals. If you don't know how far you've come, how will you know when to stop reaching? There are many great tools with which to track and measure progress. Let's talk about those.

1) Measuring (duh). I don't tend to weigh food. It's a lot of effort, creates more dishes than I care to wash, and I'm not competing, so really, it's not THAT big of a deal if six ounces of chicken is really closer to seven. I'm talking about the use of a measuring tape to track body size. I do this weekly, and while it is a great tool, keep in mind one thing: if your body composition is changing (i.e. you're building muscle, but don't need to change your size) this might not change as much as you think. My weight and measurement can remain pretty much the same, but all of a sudden a six pack stands where only 4 were the previous week.

2) Weight. Ah…I love to hate this. We put SO much emphasis on how much we weigh it's crazy. I know fitness models who are "obese" according to their height:weight ratio. Weight is so dependent on height, body composition, even frame size and (ahem) time of the month. Sodium, supplements, stress can all create fluctuations. Final word: it's ok to keep an eye on it, but don't weigh yourself daily and beat yourself up if you climb a few pounds from day to day.

3) Calipers. These are an old friend of mine which I recently rediscovered while unpacking an old box of school supplies. Calipers are a good way to gauge your body fat (get a book to learn how to read them, or look it up online). They're not 100 per cent accurate, and there is room for human error here, but if you want to see where you're starting and track weekly or monthly, I like this method. It's free, once you buy the calipers, and you can do it discretely in your own home.

4) Food Diaries. I use a website called "fit day" to track my macros daily. That way, I can go back and see what worked for me, and what didn't. It also allows me to keep track of my macros to make sure I am getting sufficient protein, fats, and carbs to fuel my day. This is also a good tool if you have food allergies or a medical condition. It's been paramount in alleviating my egg sensitivity and nearly ridding me of migraine triggers.

5) Clothes. Seriously, these are the best tracking device you can get, and guess what? You already own them! I'm not a fan of buying clothes too small, with the hopes you might one day strut your stuff with pride of victory. What I'm talking about is that favourite pair of shorts that are a bit snug today, or those old jeans that always make your butt look great. How your clothes fit is truly the best way to tell if you're progressing or not. My weight can stay the same, but if all of a sudden there is some slack in my tights where they previously cut in, I know I am on the right track.

So what's the bottom line? Use all these tools, or none of them. That's the point! Whatever plan works for you, is the one you're meant to use. Balance is key! Don't make yourself miserable or turn into a hermit/control freak over food and training. I went to a restaurant in Whistler last weekend with friends after I had already eaten my days' worth of calories and macros. Guess what I did? Ate bison, bacon, sweet potatoes and the most delicious chocolate dessert without fear or regret, and woke up leaner than the day before? A ticket to gorge? No, but living life a little only makes the effort you put in the other 9/10ths of the time that much sweeter.

I might have a magazine cover shoot coming up soon, what will I change? Nothing. My current plan is working in a healthy, sustainable way, and that plan is what I am going to stick to.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment