Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Two Year Itch…Scratch, Scratch.

At the end of August, 2014, I shared a big anniversary. Not with a person, not with a job, but with a place. I moved to the mainland at the end of a beautiful summer. It was filled with late nights, sober dancing, long walks along the ocean at night, and some travel back to my homeland (Onterrible) to see family, some old friends, and meet new family. It was a great time.

I originally moved away to find a better future, and two years later I have found it. I met a wonderful man, and we built a home together in a town neither of us imagined we would end up. While it may not be the last place we call home, it is a wonderful first step to leading a mountain life. I adopted two dogs who fill my heart daily with unconditional love, and my arms with snuggles (and dog hair). I found a career in an industry that is trying and unreliable, but that I truly love being a part of. Life is good.

It goes without saying that there are some things I miss about my little island town. Having my best friend down the street, a team of amazing women to call on and progress with each year, knowing where to buy all the weird foods I eat, and where I can find free parking anytime. The sense of community isn't the same here, yet, but I figure I have eight more years to build toward that.

As the time rolls on at warp speed without my knowledge of its passing, I catch only glimpses of it. Perhaps my age has something to do with it now, or perhaps my life is fuller. Days are more filled with chores than ever, and sometimes there aren't enough hours to accomplish them. I do know, though, that while things are hectic, they are positive. I have moments that I want to build a hover car to avoid the notorious Vancouver traffic, and others when I wish I could build a bubble around my house with only myself and my family within to force us to slow down. Even now, I seem to want what I don't have; speed or stillness.

My life has changed beyond recognition. People and things that used to be important no longer please me, and sometimes I am bothered by my own indifference, but I am happy to be so. A life filled with things which don't bring you pleasure is without value.

No comments:

Post a Comment